homepage pic

Your guess is as good as anyone's as to what effect Brexit will have on sailing across the pond: The one thing you can be sure of, is they will make it as difficult as possible for UK sailors to go to Europe, as they did with Red Diesel, so why not just enjoy our fantastic rivers and coastline - the wine is just as cheap in ASDA...!

UPDATE 17/2/21


Some clarity as to how sailing to the continent will happen, is now coming through. Two things to consider:

1) What (as a Brit) do you need to do for UK Customs / Immigration?

2) What do you need to do on arrival on the other side?

 UK citizen leaving / arriving back in the UK

For those of you old enough, we are back where we were a few years ago! - Before you go, you have to fill out a form, when you get back, you fly a Q flag, wait to see if anyone wants to come aboard and send in the second part of the form to say you have returned. Click here to see information relating to entry and exit formalities from the RYA.

The form that needs to be completed can be found amongst the UK Government "Notice 8 - sailing your pleasure craft to and from the UK" . This notice details all the issues relating to private pleasure craft, so you need to be familiar with it. One of the stand-out items is all to do with VAT, and applies as much to a modest 40 year old 30 footer, as to a brand new ¬£Million+ vessel. 

The form to complete is "C1331". Click here for form C133. On completion, post it to:

United Kingdom Border Force
Yacht Reports
Freight Clearance Centre
Lord Warden Square
Western Docks
CT17 9DN

NOTE: This needs a stamp and an envelope - there is no electronic way of submitting the form...!

There is some paperwork that you should carry: (Click here for more details from the RYA)

  1. Vessel registration document
  2. Ship radio license
  3. Insurance documents
  4. Ships log
  5. Evidence of eligibility for relief from VAT and import duty (to facilitate your return to the UK)
  6. Evidence of competence (some countries may not accept RYA Coastal skipper / Yachtmaster, but should accept the International Certificate of Competence (ICC), issued by the RYA)
  7. Radio operators license
  9. An in-date European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) Click here for more details
  10. It may also be a good idea to have private travel insurance

UK citizens are only permitted to visit countries in the Schengen Area for a total of 90 days in any 180 day period. If you wish to stay longer than 90 days, you will require a visa, but they may be hard to come by. Click here for more information from noonsite.com

The Cruising Association has made a webinar and slide pack publically available.

FOOD: Be aware that it is illegal to import UK meat and dairy products into the EU without a certificate. You are likely to get ham, cheese, sausages, eggs, bacon etc. confiscated, so best have a hearty fry-up before you arrive.

On leaving the UK

  1. Complete Part 1 of form C1331 and send it to the above UK Border Force address.

  2. If you fail to leave UK waters after sending the form off, you must complete Part 2, write "Voyage abandoned" across it, and send it to UK Border Force.

Arriving back in the UK

  1. When you enter UK territorial waters (the 12 mile limit) you must fly the "Q" flag from your cross-tree. Do not take down the flag until you have finished reporting to the customs authorities, and you have been instructed to do so.

  2. When arriving back, you must phone the National Yachtline on 0300 123 2012 AND complete part 2 of form C1331, and send it off.

UK citizens arriving in Europe

I have struggled to find much info regarding what you should do on arrival in the EU, apart from "every state will possibly differ". Expect grief, and to find that every boat gets treated differently, even in the same country. At the time of writing, the RYA does have some info, but rather unhelpfully, they only make it available to to their members Click here

Europeans arriving in the UK

I have not been able to discover what Europeans are supposed to do on arrival in the UK, but I understand they will need to complete a form C1331...

Sailing events

08 Jul 2022;
07:00AM -
Mercator Race
09 Jul 2022;
60th PMSC Barge match
23 Jul 2022;
Haven Combined Clubs Race 5 - Haven Ports YC
24 Jul 2022;
Haven Combined Clubs Race 6 - Haven Ports YC
06 Aug 2022;
09:00AM -
Stroombank race
25 Aug 2022;
Cruise to Clacton Air Show
25 Aug 2022;
Cruise to Clacton Air Show
27 Aug 2022;
09:00AM -
Britannia race
29 Aug 2022;
Ha'Penny cup
03 Sep 2022;
PMSC Regatta
10 Sep 2022;
10:45AM -
Haven Combined Clubs Race 7 - W&FYC
24 Sep 2022;
10:45AM -
Haven Combined Clubs Race 8 - Pin Mill SC
24 Jun 2023;
PMSC Barge match

Met Office Weather

Tide times - Harwich

04 July 2022

Go to top