Author Topic: Pin Mill Jetty  (Read 176 times)

damarri

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pin Mill Jetty
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »
You may or may not be aware that  the Jetty at Pin Mill is owned and managed by the "Pin Mill Bay Management Community Interest Company" and that there has been some question, not to say controversy, over it's use for the last couple of years, particularly by barges used for Holiday Letting.  The CIC has asked for the views of residents on how the Jetty should be used in the future and since our Sailing Club is represented in the CIC,  if you have a view, this would be a good place to air it!

This is an extract from the CIC letter :-

Some time ago the company’s ownership of the fixed jetty and its right to manage and charge for its use was challenged by the owner of the Dutch barge ‘Onderneming' which was moored there illegally and operating as a holiday let illegally.  The owner of the barge applied retrospectively to Babergh District Council for planning permission to provide holiday lets.  This was refused in October 2016 but despite continued pressure from both the Parish Council and the Pin Mill Bay Management Community Interest Company (CIC), Babergh have so far failed to enforce this. Since then the barge has been sold as a holiday let business to Woodfarm Barns & Barges.  The new owners have been informed of the illegality of their business and are considering their position.  We are confident that the barge will soon be moved.

The CIC has now been approached for a jetty mooring by the owner of Beta 3, a 1926 London fire boat which they are restoring and converting to a houseboat, (https:/betaiiifireboat.com).  This brings into question the purpose of the jetty.  Originally it was envisaged that the jetty should only be used for the repair and maintenance of seaworthy vessels.  Should this also include restoration and conversion work?  If you would like your views to be expressed please let me know before our next board meeting on the 27th February.

Are you in favour of jetty use for:-

A.  Repair and maintenance of seaworthy craft only?

B.  Restoration of historic seaworthy craft?

C.  Conversion of commercial craft to houseboats?

D.  All the above?

E.  No residential use whatsoever?

F.  Residential use limited to the time craft are being worked on?

G. Residential use limited to three months?

damarri

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pin Mill Jetty
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:03:11 PM »
My view is that Pin Mill has a long association with barging and the repair and maintenance of barges and that tradition should be maintained.  I have no objection to maintenance, restoration or conversion work being carried out on the jetty, nor to people living on a boat that is being worked on.  BUT I do strongly object to raw sewage being discharged on the foreshore!  I think the jetty should be a "facility" for the use of barges and visiting boats and should not be permanently occupied by long-term residential vessels or Holiday lets.  I think that all contracts for visiting boats and barges should be short term (say 1 month) but renewable so that we have the ability to get rid of any vessel that becomes a problem.  I have looked at the Beta 3 website and it looks as though they are doing a great job and personally I would welcome such a project in Pin Mill and would enjoy watching it's progress......

Paul